Cunard's second Ivernia was built by John Brown & Co., Clydebank, and
was launched in 1954. Her maiden voyage on 1 July 1955 was from
Greenock to Montreal, but the return leg of that voyage ended at
Liverpool. She then served Canada from the Mersey until 1957, when she
was transferred to Southampton.
During the winter of 1962-63, she was extensively rebuilt and emerged as
the green-hulled cruise ship Franconia III. (Her sister Saxonia II was
rebuilt and renamed Carmania II at the same time.) Franconia typically
cruised out of New York in summer and Port Everglades in winter. She
also served on an unsuccessful Rotterdam-Canada service in 1968.
By 1969, Franconia, Carmania and Queen Elizabeth 2 were Cunard's only
passenger ships among a fleet of about 60 and in 1971 Franconia and
Carmania were withdrawn from service. After being laid up from 1971
to 1973, Franconia was acquired by the Soviet Union with Carmania and
renamed Fedor Shalyapin.
Sources: Haws' Merchant Fleets; Bonsor's North Atlantic Seaway.