Anchor Line's Tuscania was built by Fairfield Shipbuilding and
Engineering of Glasgow. Launched in 1921, she made her maiden voyage
from Glasgow to New York on 16 September 1922. She served on that
route and on Anchor's New York-Mediterranean service until 1926, when
she was chartered to Cunard and repainted in Cunard colors.
For Cunard, Tuscania sailed from London and Southampton to New York
until 1930, when she was laid up for several months. She returned to
service for Anchor in 1931, and was then used on a variety of services:
Glasgow-Bombay, Glasgow-New York and cruising for Anchor and one
Southampton-New York voyage for Cunard in 1931. In 1939 she was
sold to the Greek Line and was renamed New Hellas. She served
Piraeus-New York and Lisbon-New York until she was requisitioned for use
as a British troop transport in 1941, under Anchor's management.
She returned to Greek Line's Piraeus-New York service in 1947. In 1955
she was renamed New York and placed on a New York-Bremen service. She
returned to the Piraeus-New York route for several months in late 1959
and was then laid up. She was scrapped in Japan in 1961.
Sources: Kludas' Great Passenger Ships of the World; Bonsor's North