Built by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. of Newcastle, Swedish-America Line's
Gripsholm was launched in 1924. She made her maiden voyage from
Gothenburg to New York on 21 November 1925. During almost all of World
War II, she was used by the International Red Cross.
She returned to the Gothenburg-New York service in 1946, and underwent a
major refitting in 1950. On 1 February 1954, she made her initial
Bremerhaven-New York voyage for Bremen-American Line, a joint effort of
Swedish American and Norddeutscher Lloyd (NDL). NDL took her over
completely in January 1955, and renamed her Berlin. She remained in
NDL's service until she was scrapped in 1966.