Leyland Line's Colonian built by R. & W. Hawthorne, Leslie & Co., of
Hebburn-on-Tyne, and was launched in July 1901 and entered service later
that year. She spent 1902 in the service of the Dominion Line, making
eight Liverpool-Portland, Maine, roundtrips; while in Dominion service
she could carry 60 First class and 350 third class passengers. Colonian
reverted to Leyland Line service in 1903 and was primarily a cargo
carrier for Leyland with only limited passenger accommodations.
On 21 May 1917, Colonian was wrecked on Bishop's Rock while en route
from Boston to Liverpool.
Sources: Bonsor's North Atlantic Seaway; Haws' Merchant Fleets in