The only paddle-wheeler ever owned by White Star, Gallic was built by
John Scott & Co., for the Corporation of Birkenhead in 1894. Named
Birkenhead, she served that company as a ferry operating out of
Liverpool until 1907.
When White Star began calling at Cherbourg in 1907, it purchased
Birkenhead for use as a tender, and renamed her Gallic. She served at
Cherbourg until she was replaced by
Traffic II and
Nomadic II in 1911.
She then returned to Liverpool and was occasionally used as a baggage
tender until laid up in 1912.
Gallic was broken up on the Mersey in 1913.
Sources: Anderson's White Star; Haws' Merchant Fleets.