This ship, built by Chantiers et Ateliers de Provence at Port de Bouc,
was originally intended to serve in CGT's West Indies service. Thus,
when launched in 1914, she was named Isle de Cuba. However, before she
was completed, she was redesignated for the New York service and renamed
Lafayette. Her maiden voyage to New York on 3 November 1915 began not
at Le Havre, but at CGT's wartime terminus at Bordeaux.
Early in 1916, Lafayette was taken over as a hospital ship, and is
pictured below in that livery as well. She returned to CGT in 1919 and
made her first New York departure from Le Havre on 8 November. In 1924 she
was transferred to the St. Nazaire-West Indies-Central America service,
with occasional New York trips. She was rebuilt in 1928, placed on the
Vera Cruz service and renamed Méxique. She remained on that service, with
occasional trips to New York and Casablanca, until the summer of 1939,
when she was laid up in anticipation of being scrapped. She returned to
service, however, to carry Jewish refugees to Mexico until she was taken
over as a troop transport in 1940.
On 19 June 1940, Méxique sank at Le Verdon after striking a mine. Her
entire crew of 173 was rescued.