Anchor's second Transylvania, sister of Caledonia IV, was built by
Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering at Govan. She was laid down in
1919, but soon after work stopped for nearly two years. As a result,
her launch occurred in March 1925, followed by a Glasgow-New York
maiden voyage on 12 September 1925.
In November 1928, assisted by the East Asiatic Co.'s Estonia,
Transylvania rescued 13 of the 26 members of the crew of the sinking
German freighter Herrenwijk. Months later, in March 1929, Transylvania
herself was damaged and out of service for more than two months after
she grounded on La Coque Rocks, near Cherbourg.
During the late 1930's. Transylvania engaged in West Indies cruising in
addition to her regular North Atlantic service. Requisitioned as an
armed merchant cruiser when World War II began, she was torpedoed and
sunk by U 56 west of Inishtrahull on 10 August 1940. Although nearby
trawlers were able to rescue about 300 of Transylvania's crew, there
were 48 fatalities.