The United States Lines' Washington was built by New York Shipbuilding
Corp., of Camden, New Jersey, and was launched in 1933. She made her
maiden voyage from New York to Hamburg on 10 May 1933. In 1940, after
World War II began, she was switched to a New York-Genoa service which
ended later that year. She then did some cruising before serving as a
troop transport named Mount Vernon from 1941.
Purchased by the US government in 1942, she was renamed Washington in
1945 and was handed over to the US Maritime Commission after the
completion of her trooping duties. She returned to service on 2 April
1946, with a New York-Southampton sailing.
In 1948, Washington was chartered to her original owner, United State
Lines, for service on her original route, New York-Hamburg. She made her
commercial last voyage, from Southampton to New York, on 12 October
1951. She was then turned back to the Maritime Commission, which placed
her on Military Sea Transportation Service duty through 1953. In
February 1954, Washington was mothballed as part of the Hudson River
reserve fleet, becoming the largest ship ever to travel up that river
north of New York City. She remained there until she was broken up in
Kearny, New Jersey, in 1965.
Sources: The New York Times, 13 February; Kludas' Great Passenger Ships
of the World; Bonsor's North Atlantic Seaway. Thanks to Karl Balys for