The Wisconsin (BB-9) was the third and last of the Illinois-class
battleships authorized by Congress in June 1896. Built by Union Iron
Works of San Francisco, the Wisconsin was laid down in February 1897
and launched in November 1898.
Commissioned on 4 February 1901, the ship when fully loaded had a
displacement of 12,150 tons and was manned by 35 officers and 496
enlisted men. Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, the Wisconsin served as
the flagship of the Pacific Squadron in 1902, and of the Asiatic
Squadron from 1903 to 1906. Decommissioned in November 1906, the
Wisconsin returned to service with the Great White Fleet in 1907, and
was then assigned to the Atlantic Fleet in 1909.
The Wisconsin was placed in reserve in April 1910. Assigned to the
Naval Academy Practice Squadron in 1915, the Wisconsin served as an
engineering school ship and a midshipmen's cruise ship in 1918-1919.
The Wisconsin was decommissioned in May 1920 and sold for scrap in
Source: Newhart's American Battleships.